I grew up just outside of New York City. I was a Yankees fan, a Knicks fan, a Rangers fan, a Giants fan. And, as a loyal New Yorker, I have spent much of my life rooting against teams from Boston — the Red Sox, the Celtics, the Bruins (the Patriots too, but they haven’t really been the Boston Patriots since I was a little kid).
On the other hand, I lived for several years in Providence and all of my siblings lived for at least some time in the Boston area. So, while I grew up hating Boston’s teams, I have always loved the city of Boston. When it came time to set my Thieftaker books in a Colonial era city, Boston seemed the logical choice.
The terrorist attack on the Boston Marathon venue left me stunned and grieving, not only for the victims most affected by the bombings, but for the entire city. I still recall my sense of outrage, of violation when my beloved New York was attacked in 2001. I know what the people of Boston are feeling.
And so, it is with deepest sympathy and love and solidarity that transcends lifelong sporting rivalries that I embark on a fundraiser and giveaway to do my small part in helping Boston get back on its feet. Through a website called First Giving, I am hosting a fundraising event the goal of which is to raise $5,000.00 by July 2 (the release date for THIEVES’ QUARRY, and for the paperback reprint of THIEFTAKER) for the Boston Foundation and the One Fund of Boston. If you will help me raise the funds, I’ll make it interesting for you. Here’s how it works:
For each fundraising milestone we reach, I will be giving away prizes to lucky donors.
– When we reach $1000 raised, I will give away one signed uncorrected manuscript of THIEFTAKER. This is a collector’s item — a copy of the manuscript that was sent out to other authors who were asked to blurb the book before its release in 2012.
– When we reach $2000, I will give away one Boston Thieftaker’s Guild t-shirt in whatever size the winner wants. The t-shirt can be signed if the winner would like it to be.
– When we reach $3000, I will give away one signed paperback edition of THIEFTAKER. (This book comes out on July 2, so the giveaway will happen then.)
– When we reach $4000, I will give away one signed hardcover edition of THIEVES’ QUARRY. (This book will also be available on July 2 and will be given away then.)
– When we reach $5000, I will give away a second signed paperback of THIEFTAKER and a second signed hardcover of THIEVES’ QUARRY to one lucky donor. (Also to be given away on July 2.)
The donation site can be found here: http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/DBJacksonThieftaker/thieftakergiveaway
I hope you will join me in reaching out to the people of Boston, and doing our part to speed the healing process. And I hope that you’re one of the luck winners.