A Publicity Idea and a Request for Help

THIEFTAKER, by D.B. Jackson (Thieftaker Chronicles, book I)So I’m looking at having postcards made with the Thieftaker jacket art on the front and information about the book (ISBN number, jacket blurbs — stuff like that) on the back.  I want to have stuff to give away at conventions, book signings, and other events.

But I also have an idea for t-shirts that would have that same jacket art on the back and on the front a small insignia for the “Boston Thieftakers‘ Guild, Est. 1765.”  This guild never existed, of course, but I think that the idea of it might be kind of cool.  But I need a second opinion.  Or rather, I need a bunch of them.  Would any of you be interested in a Thieftaker shirt like the one I’ve described (understanding, of course, that I would have to price it reasonably)?

Please leave a comment and let me know.  Thanks!

This entry was posted in Boston, Fun, Novels, Publicity, Thieftaker, Writing Life and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to A Publicity Idea and a Request for Help

1. Jason says:

The idea of a t-shirt with a mysterious fake guild on it is a good one, and something I’d certainly wear. Creating a little conspiracy with no real conspiracy behind it would be pretty cool.

2. Dino Hicks says:

Yes, several of the folks you know here would be interested.

3. dbjackson says:

Jason, thanks. What do you mean by “a conspiracy?” Were you referring to the guild, or do you have something else in mind?

Dino, thanks. Good to know.

4. Carol Gilreath says:

Yes definitely an interest in the post cards as well as the shirts.

5. Jana says:

I would. And I can highly recommend a tee shirt firm Broken Arrow. They did mine and they turned out excellent and reasonably priced.

(http://www.brokenarrowwear.com/)

6. Misty Massey says:

Okay, I don’t generally buy t-shirts but I would SO buy one of these. And I would wear it to dance class, so all the belly dancers would see it and if there’s one thing belly dancers love to do when they’re not dancing, it’s read. Wouldn’t you like to have a whole shimmy of belly dancers loving your book?

I thought so. :D

7. Wayne says:

Yes, definitely a tshirt. If so better have it for ConCarolinas.. ;) .

8. heidi2524 says:

Love the idea of a Thieftakers Guild tshirt! Personally, I like subtle swag, so a large guild logo on the front, like the Buckaroo Banzai Institute tshirts, and no cover image. Could have your URL in small print under the logo, or across the back in larger print. My guess is a one color print would be cheaper …

9. dbjackson says:

Heidi, thanks for the feedback. That actually might make a lot of sense. I’ll think about it. Thank you!

10. Judy Bienvenu says:

Hey David,
    Both Melanie and I would be interested! Check out CafePress.com. We’ve used them for t-shirts and other stuff, and the quality is great.

11. Sarah says:

I would absolutely wear a Thieftaker’s Guild shirt. How small do you want the logo to be? I’d be more likely to wear it if the label and crest were readable from a reasonable distance. If it’s too small, like the lacosta alligator sized, it wouldn’t work as well.

• dbjackson says:

A good point, Sarah. Thanks. I wouldn’t want it too small either, although I hadn’t been thinking of having it very large, either. I’m rethinking that now, though. Maybe a large insignia on the front, the URL for my website on the back, and no book cover. The advantage of that is I can do it in black and white, and thus keep shirt prices down.

Still thinking it through….

12. Mararet says:

I love the idea and would definitely buy a shirt! I’d also love a signed postcard, of course, and we’ll have to work on another round of book signings – hopefully at ConCarolinas or sometime this year! And drinks! Cheers, Margaret

13. AHS says:

I love both the shirt idea and the postcard idea! I enjoy sending snailmail cards to people, and if I have postcards of a “must read” book, I slip them into the cards to recommend the book to my friends. It would be great to have postcards available at cons for people to take to help spread the word.

14. dbjackson says:

Amy, thanks. That’s what I’m thinking as well (re. the postcards). It’s one thing to tell people about a book. But giving them something they can take with them, something with the title and publisher and ISBN. I figure that’s got to help. Hoping to see you at a convention sometime this year.

Comments are closed.